FAQ – International Vehicle Shipping

If you are delivering your vehicle yourself to a terminal or to the port, payment must be received in our offices right after you have made the delivery. If you have requested that we use of a trucker to pick up your vehicle, then payment must be made right after the vehicle has been pick up by the trucker. Payment can be made in the form of a wire transfer, cashier’s check, a credit card and in some cases a personal check. Payment must be mailed to our office.

You can start the process of making a booking by using our online quote request or by calling us at 1-888-620-SHIP (7447) to submit the required information. We will respond to you with a price and, if applicable, we will offer you options. If you accept our quote, you would then place your shipping order (booking). You could complete the booking online by completing the rest of the information and submit your order. Upon receiving your order, we will make all the necessary arrangements for the shipment of your vehicle. After these arrangements are finalized, we would email you necessary documents to confirm your order with instructions of what you need to do with your vehicle and your shipping documents.

You would need the following documents:
A. The original Certificate of Title of Ownership of the vehicle without a Lien recorded on the Title.

B. If the vehicle is used or pre-owned the existing Certificate of Title can be endorsed by the seller to the new owner. No Sales Tax is payable to the Seller and proof of export will be given to the Seller if requested.

C. Depending on which Port the vehicle will sail from, you may need a Bill of Sale or a Notarized Bill of Sale.

D. If you are in the Military, Government or State service and there is a Lien recorded on the vehicle, the Lien Holder needs to give permission to export the vehicle. This permission must be an Original Letter from the Lien holder together with 3 certified copies of the Certificate of Title. You will also need to present your Military orders or a letter from the Government or State authority and a copy of the Title Record History obtainable from the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State the vehicle is registered.

E. When a new vehicle is purchased, an Original Certificate of Origin must be obtained from the Dealership who sold you the vehicle. We need this to get Custom Clearance. A Bill of Sale is also required.

F. Some ports (in Florida) require a Power of Attorney to give the customs clearing agent permission to clear your documents on your behalf.

Yes, if we do the clearance for you in the U.S., all documents that you provide for U.S. Customs clearance of your vehicle will be sent back to you. Your documents are sent back to you after the vessel has sailed. You will have the option of having them mailed regular mail to a U.S. address or sent via express mail to a U.S. or overseas address. There is an additional charge if your documents are sent back using express mail.

Yes, we have clearing agents at all destination ports that assist you with the off-loading and clearance of your cargo. Shipping lines that have their own agents at the destination port that they require you to use. If you are shipping your cargo in an exclusive container, you may sometimes have the option of hiring your own agent at the destination port.

You should get an International Driver’s License from the AAA Automobile Association in your area. Your American Driver’s License will suffice in Europe. As a tourist or temporary resident, you can drive with your American license plates in a foreign country until your registration for that year expires.

You can nominate any person to pick up the vehicle at the Destination Port. You must advise us of this a few days prior to the sailing of the date so that we can enter their name as the Receiver or Consignee. They will be required to identify themselves with a picture ID as well as produce the Title of Ownership and a letter of permission to pick up the vehicle. There is a charge by the shipping line if you notify us of any changes after your cargo has been loaded on the vessel.

Yes, we do offer Marine Insurance. We provide full coverage Marine Insurance at a rate of 1.5% of the value you wish to insure the vehicle for. This covers you against any major dents or damage or loss to part of the vehicle while the shipping vessel (with your cargo laden on board) is on the water. This has a deductible of $500.00.

With Roll-On/Roll-Off (RORO) shipments, no goods are permitted in vehicles; and therefore only the vehicle would be insured.

With shared or exclusive container shipments, personal goods are allowed to be packed in the vehicle and in the container but the goods are not insurable against any damage. The personal goods will be insured against total loss only. The vehicle will be insured for damage and or total loss but will not be insured against damage that is caused by goods packed in the vehicle. For the personal goods to be covered, you will need an itemized packing list of the goods packed in each box and a total count of the boxes and their value. You also need to include the vehicle’s VIN # on the packing list. This itemized list must be attached to the original Title, presented and signed for at the terminal when the goods are delivered.

With exclusive containers that are self-loaded by the customer, Marine Insurance would only cover total loss.

Total loss cover is when the container is lost or mishandled and the goods in the container are deemed to be damaged to the extent that they cannot be recovered or repaired.

If you ship your vehicle in a shared container, you will be permitted to pack goods into the vehicle. These goods are sent at your own risk and cannot be insured. If you ship your vehicle in a container on its own (exclusive container), you can pack the vehicle and the container with your goods. These goods can be insured only against loss. Goods not declared or not fully disclosed on the packing list may result in duties, taxes and penalties imposed by customs at origin and at destination.

For personal goods shipped in a container, you will need an itemized packing list of the goods packed in each box and a total count of the boxes and their value. You also need to include the vehicle’s VIN # on the packing list. This itemized list must be attached to the original Title of Ownership and must be presented and signed for at the terminal when goods are delivered.

If your vehicle is being shipped on a Roll-On/Roll-Off (RORO) vessel, you are NOT permitted to pack any goods in your vehicle.

Yes, you do need insurance to drive on the roads in foreign countries. Insurance can be bought at the port of destination when you pick up your vehicle or you can arrange your insurance prior to the pickup of your vehicle.

Containers are not airtight. Changes in temperature and humidity while being shipped can result in moss growing on your upholstery. To avoid this, we suggest you cover your seats and dashboard with a sheet or with plastic.

When your vehicle is shipped in a Roll-On/Roll-Off (RORO) vessel, we recommend that you remove your license plates and registration tags when dropping off your vehicle at the port or prior to the vehicle being picked up by the trucking company. You can replace them when picking up your vehicle at the destination port. If you are entering Europe as a tourist or non-resident, you may drive with your with American license plates and registration tags until they expire. If you are not returning to the U.S., after the registration tags expire, you should removed the license plates with the registration tags and mail them back to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State of registration.

We are able to give you expected departure and arrival dates. Delays seldom occur but they do occur. Some of the reasons why there may be delays are due to U.S. Custom delays, port congestion, sailings cancelled or delayed because of not enough freight, ships being over booked or re-routed and weather conditions. There are no refunds or price deductions due to any delays.

Please note that returning citizens or foreign buyers may be subject to import duties and taxes imposed by the destination country. Each country has different laws so we urge you to contact the Embassy of the destination country concerned to clarify matters. We woudl be glad to advise you on some countries.

This is a large sailing vessel that carries all vehicles that have wheels and can be driven or towed. It is like a large sailing parking lot. The vehicles are stored below deck and are not open to the elements. This is the chosen method manufacturers use to transport new vehicles. For a vehicle to be transported in a RORO vessel, it must be drivable or able to roll, steer and brake. There is an additional charge if the vehicle is not drivable but steers and brakes. A vehicle such as a trailer can also be sent RORO if it can be towed.

You must keep the level of the gas at 1/4 of a tank or less. For safety, full tanks will be emptied. There will be a cost to drain gas tanks in vehicles that are delivered with more than 1/4 tank of gas.

A Customs Clearance Broker is a person or a company that process the documentation and the vehicle through the import formalities of the country of destination. We suggest you employ their services to make it easier for you. Depending on the country, we can sometimes provide you with contact information for Customs Clearance Broker in the destination country.

These are charges for the off-loading of the vehicle and documentation fees charged by the destination agents and the destination country. Each country differs. Discharge and off-loading fees for Container are higher than those for Roll-On/Roll-Off (RORO).

U.S. Customs Clearance fees are included in the price we quote you. Documentation should be cleared by U.S. Customs prior to the loading of the vehicle for export. You need to properly follow our instructions regarding your documentation. All extra costs caused by you not following our instructions will be added to your account. It happens very rarely but there are times when U.S. Customs call for a container to be returned from the port to be re-inspected. The costs relating to this re-inspection are shared equally by the vehicle owners of each vehicle packed in that container.

Yes, if your vehicle can fit onto a vehicle transport carrier we can arrange to have your vehicle picked up at your location and transported in an open or closed carrier and have it delivered to the loading port or terminal.

There are limitations when shipping your cargo in a container. The limitations include size, weight and contents. The internal dimensions of a 20-ft. container are approximately 19.5 ft. long by 7.5 ft. high by 7.5 ft. wide. The weight limit for a 20-ft. container is approximately 20,000 pounds. The internal dimensions of a 40-ft. container are approximately 39.5 ft. long by 7.5 ft. high by 7.5 ft. wide. The weight limit for a 40-ft. container is approximately 40,000 pounds. You may not ship any combustible materials and you are limited by what the destination country will allow you to import.

It is the Sender’s and/or Receiver’s responsibility to make sure that the cargo that is being exported is permitted to be imported into the destination country. Some of the limitations for vehicles can be vehicle age, left-hand drive or right-hand drive, and is the vehicle new or used. There can also be limitations on personal belongings. Each country has its own import rules and regulations that do change. Before you arrange to ship your vehicle or belongings you must make sure that the goods you want to export are permitted to be imported into your destination country.